April to June 2007
Quilting Possibilities Gazette
A NOTE FROM DEBBIE...
Spring is here! The tulips and daffodils I planted in Dec – nothing like waiting till the last possible moment! – are blooming and cheering up our new building. I’m itching to bring over the extra perennials from my gardens at home and we’d love to have any of your extras too!
Come visit our “Possibilities Room”! We’ve turned the store-room into more floor space and we’ve added quilting machines! In here you will find APQS’ George machine, the HandiQuilter 16 and the Grace Machine Quilting Frame set up with a Baby Lock Quilter’s Professional on it. All three machines have stitch regulators and are ready for test drives! Soon we will offer a class that will allow you to rent time on the George machine and the HandiQuilter to quilt your own tops! Stay tuned for details.
Gina, our HandiQuilt rep, will be at QPs on May 12th from 1-3pm for a trunk show and demonstration of the HandiQuilter 16! Gina is also a professional machine quilter. It’s free but seating is limited so call to reserve your space.
We have all kinds of classes going on this spring! Class topics include Beginning Quilting, Sally Davis teaching a two-day class based on the book One Block Wonder, Hand Appliqué Flowers, Embroidery Club, Quilt As You Go, Creative Club, Machine Quilting 101, Machine Appliqué 101, Country Lanes Quilt, Evening Stars Quilt, and much more! Check out details on the website or stop in for a listing. Samples are in the store and pictures are on the Classes section of the website.
Not getting the weekly QP Web Gazette by email? You’re missing lots of good stuff! This last quarter you missed store sales announced only by email or by signs in the store, class notices, class updates, what’s new, some good quilting tips and more! Sign up on the web page or in the store.
We are still collecting quilts and blankets for Project Linus. You can drop them off at the shop at any time. Please attach your name and address if you need an acknowledgement.
Calling all appliqué aficionados! We are hosting an appliqué open session once a month on Friday mornings. Join other appliqué lovers for time to do this treasured craft. Use the two hours for handwork or to prep for machine work. Call the store to sign up.
Coming November 9th and 10th! RLarry Touchette – Baby Lock educator extraordinaire - is coming to QP for two days of learning and fun! RLarry will do one day of machine embroidery classes and one day of Machine Embroidery Software classes. Stay tuned for details!
Also a heads up - Judy Niemeyer www.quiltworx.com is coming to QPs in March of 2008! Judy does gorgeous quilts that rely on foundation piecing for their intricate accuracy. Judy is a whiz with color and piecing and her quilts are gorgeous!
If you are coming for a class, be sure to park on the side of the building and use the classroom door, it’s easier with machines. If it’s locked, just ring the bell.
The NJ annual shop hop is coming the last weekend in April! Eight shops will participate. This year’s theme is Charm Quilts and each shop will have a package of charms for sale and their version of the same charm quilt. You can choose from one of our variations or do your own! Passports are $5 and they are on sale now. With your passport you get a great bag and the charm quilt pattern! Join us for four days of fun while exploring some of the best quilt shops NJ has to offer!
The NJ State Quilt Show will be held in Edison June 7th, 8th and 9th. They have a beautiful show – the only one of its size run by volunteers! You won’t want to miss it. www.njquilts.org The store will be closed Thurs, June 7th and Fri June 8th and we will reopen on the Sat, the 9th.
We will be having a Sidewalk Sale Sunday, May 26th. We will clean out the storeroom of samples, traded in machines, older kits, and anything else we can find! Be sure to stop by for some great, one of kind deals! This will be a cash and checks only event. In case of bad weather, we will hold the sidewalk sale in the classroom.
May 19th is Armed Forces Day. We will be collecting goods to send to soldiers overseas. We are working out the details, stay tuned for more details.
QP will be 12 years old in June! A postcard will be coming in May telling you about our celebration. It’s hard to believe that we opened that long ago – back when I was 38 and didn’t have so much white hair! Yup, that means I celebrate the big 50 this June. That is almost as hard to believe as my kids being all in their twenties – just how did that happen????
Karen L. Dever will be available to evaluate your new and antique quilts on Saturday, June 23 at QP. Karen is an experienced quilt appraiser who can provide a written insurance appraisal for $30 each or a verbal appraisal for $15. Verbal appraisals are for quilts made prior to 1975.
Written appraisals are necessary for insurance coverage of antique, vintage and new quilted textiles. Unless you are able to prove otherwise, the insurance claim for a "blanket" is far below what our quilts are generally worth. Quilters are encouraged to protect their investment by having their collections appraised. To schedule an appraisal call the shop.
Please remember that we will be closed these Sundays -April 1st for Palm Sunday, April 8th for Easter, May 13th for Mother’s Day and June 17th for Father’s Day.
BLOCK OF THE MONTHS
IN FULL BLOOM the newest BOM from McKenna Ryan! Fuchsias and foxgloves share a cottage garden with birds, bees, and butterflies. This eight-block masterpiece reaches inspiring new heights in detail and richness with a vibrant combination of color.
WINTER’S SONG A gorgeous winter mountain scene of an evergreen tree filled with songbirds. You can choose any method of appliqué to complete the quilt.
HARVEST HOME – a 12-month BOM from the same people who brought us Harvest Spice. This quilt is done in blues and greens and started Jan 2007. Gorgeous! Designed for all skill levels, this quilt finishes to 98" x 98" with a timesaving 10" border print that includes the look of an inner/outer border. This quilt is destined to become a family heirloom. We have a few kits still available.
DID YOU BUY YOUR MACHINE FROM QPS?
If you have purchased your sewing machine or serger from us, you know that you have a quality product. We feel it is important that you maximize your investment by learning how to use all the features available on your machine. We have regularly scheduled Know How classes. If you bought your machine from QPs and have not taken your free Know How classes, please call the store or check the web page for the schedule www.quiltingpossibilities.net
In August, the Elna Company was sold to Janome. The new company will be it’s own separate division within Janome. Machines are arriving again and we are waiting for some accessories. We will be carrying the Elna 7200, a quilter’s dream with an extended bed and a favorite of the QP staff, the 6600 and the 6200. Stop in and see them.
JANOME JEM NEWS
Looking for a lightweight machine to carry to classes? We carry the Gem machines in stock.
This year is Bernina’s 75th Diamond Anniversary! Bernina is celebrating with events all year. Check out the special website www.berninausa.com/75/#home
Because I Said Sew! is Baby Lock’s Mother’s Day Sale. Stop in for some great prices and deals May 3rd, 4th and 5th!
Coming in May! Baby Lock Quilter’s Quest! An exclusive new machine with these features:
- 8 11/16” long arm = extra room to maneuver
- Largest sewing bed with table in the home sewing industry
- Precision Dual Feed Quilting for feeding fabric evenly and creating the prefect stitch
- Rotary hook
- Free Arm
New QuiltWorks Upgrade is available and offers:
- More artwork,
- Blanket stitch and e-stitch appliqué
- Ability to place stitches center, right or left,
- Hoop additions, Improved auto stipple feature and More!
We are now authorized dealers for the “George” Quilting Machine! This is the machine you seen in the ads with Fons and Porter where they’ve cut hunks out of George’s clothing to complete their quilt. We have a floor model for you to try and the machine will be for rent in the near future.
We are NJ’s only authorized HandiQuilter representative. We have the HandiQuilter 16 set up in our “Possibilities” Quilting room for you to try and will be offering classes to be able to rent it in the near future. We have some Groovy Boards in stock and some other accessories also. Stop in to check it out!
Don’t forget to sign up on our website for the free web version of the QP Embroidery Gram. We are proud to be associated and carry designs from the following companies:
CDs of embroidery designs available in the store and also on the web www.gonutsgocreative.com Use our dealer number 2004
OKLAHOMA EMBROIDERY SALES and DESIGNS
We can create a design card, CD or floppy disk in almost any format from the largest collection of embroidery designs available! Or try their website and use our dealer number #101-98-1061 www.embroideryonline.com
Check out their web page and use our dealer # 7322698383 www.amazingdesigns.com
Going on vacation? Send your machine to SPA QP while you are gone! Jim or Ernie will lube, exfoliate and buff that machine right up! Bring your machine’s foot control, cord and zigzag foot when you drop your machine off at the spa. Leave the rest of your accessories at home. Machines should be serviced once a year.
BIRTHDAY DISCOUNT PROGRAM
Show us your license and get one 20% off shopping spree during your birthday month. The rules are simple:
- Tell us you will be using your birthday discount before we start to ring up your sale.
- Birthday discount purchases are for your personal use only
- Discount is valid one time only during the month of your birthday
- Machines, accessories, kits, sale items and gifts are not included in the birthday discount.
- New Hankie Blankie Pets Quilt pattern! – a great baby quilt with 3D Minkee animals
- Tall Ships – nautical fabrics with a lighthouse and schooners theme
- Angels Among Us – angels throughout the year from Benartex and Nancy Halverson
- New Jim Shore figurines – a Mom and child, a nurse and a quilting angel!!
- Jelly Rolls from Moda – rolls of 2 ½” strips from each fabric in their new lines. Check out our samples we’ve made with them!
- Garden Tales – a great line of fabrics featuring Peter Rabbit and friends. Lori designed a quilt exclusively for QP!
- Summer’s Garden from Kaufman – 12 bolts of summery florals
- Emperor’s Garden Line from Kona Bay – more of the limited edition Oriental prints
- Magnetic Pin Caddy - dipped in the center to make picking up your pins easier
- Mini Iron – perfect to take to classes and it’s cute!
- Patterns for aprons, potholders, casserole carriers
- Moda Lotta Latte fabric – coffee themed - too cute!
- Moda Gabrielle – pretty florals
- Linen Textures from P&B – tone on tones
- Moda Serendipity – warm florals
- Coming in April – fabrics by Amy Butler, Phillip Jacobs and Kaffee Fasset
- Sunbonnet Sue and Scottie Too – redwork and applique
- Big Beautiful Dogs– appliqués for larger breeds
- A Dozen Roses – gorgeous appliqué quilt
- Color For The Terrified Quilter – lessons in color (I love that title!)
- Square Deal
- Artful Applique
- Creative Quilt Collection Vol 2 Little Book of Baby Quilts
- And more!
NEW KITS – in the shop and on our website!
- Lilac Four Patch – gorgeous lilac fabrics in a quick and easy quilt
- Orion’s Star- Roxanne used batik fat quarters for this queen sized quilt
- Sonota Kit – a batik scrappy quilt and
- Turkey Reds – a great lap quilt done in reproduction fabrics of turkey reds and cheddar yellows
- Benarbaby from Benartex – pre-cut squares to make a baby sized rag quilt of flannel. Too cute!
- Windblown Tulips – a gorgeous queen sized quilts with appliqué tulips. Check it out in the lobby!
- Simple Springtime Roses – yellows, pinks and greens make us this shabby chic lap quilt
- Democracy! - a great wallhanging made from a Moda panel
- Lighthouse Way – designed by Kristie, a QP exclusive nautical wall hanging!
- Beatrix Potter’s Peter Rabbit Baby Quilt – designed by Lori, this is another QP exclusive!
- Kitchen Seasonings – a lap quilt done in pinks, greens and creamss